Began receiving alerts on a job failing. The job was "suspended". The error in the history event log is:
Unable to start execution of step 2 (reason: The ActiveScripting subsystem failed to load [see the SQLAGENT.OUT file for details]; The job has been suspended). The step failed.
A quick review of the server shows MSDE was installed on the machine, somehow this causes an error in the registry.
Review the below registry entry and ensure there is an "s" at the end. According to Microsoft this happens sometimes with MSDE installations and upgrades. You can see the picture of mine, that it was missing
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\ClientSetup]
"SQLPath"="C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools"
I added the "s" to the end. Started and stop the instance (i did both services because I could, but may only need to have the agent service restarted.)
Everything is working fine now.
This was on a sql server 2000 installation.