Ok, for whatever reason we compress the XML Blobs we store in the database. This created the problem for me to view the data, as the DBA is always asked to go find this record in the XML.
I ended up creating a little windows form application in VS2005, using C# that can decompress the blobs so I can view the data.
I also added a peice that shows how to compress the blobs and save them to a database. There was also a fun peice about displaying byte data in datagridview, it's in there!
I've also created a sample database with one table and a few records that are compressed, it's a sql server backup file, or you'd have to modify the code to create a table with some compressed blobs to see it work.
This was a just a fun thing to do, we get a lot of mileage out of compressing the XML data.
BlobTest.bak (2.58 MB)
XMLBlobViewer.ZIP (64.2 KB)